3 Useful Google things you may have missed
I’ve spent a lot of time out of the office this month (well this year actually), which means I’ve been at the mercy of on the move WiFi connections and the change of certain telephone network providers. As such, I have missed a few things, some of them very useful things that I have not looked at since the last announcements.
If like me you’ve been too busy to keep up – here are 3 things this month to put on the ‘to do’ list.
1. Secure your Google Plus Vanity URL
Hat Tip to Sean Carlos at SMX Milan who pointed out that I had not yet secured my G+ vanity URL. The last time I looked, you needed to be invited as a person or an entity so I assumed I would have to wait a while and put it on the back burner.
Recently, G+ have opened up vanity URL’s for all which is great but for how long we don’t know as apparently ‘for now’ they are free – so watch out for the membership charges further down the line.
How to get a G+ vanity URL
It wouldn’t be Google without rules so your account must tick the following boxes:
- Minimum 30 days old
- Have a profile photo
- Have at least 10 followers
- You also have to add your mobile phone details to get the code to sign up
Go to the bottom right of your G+ ‘About’ page to the ‘Links’ section.
…et voila https://plus.google.com/+JackieHole
If you don’t want to sign up to an official URL or if Google suddenly start charging, you can go back to the ‘old’ short URL route here: http://gplus.to/
2. Take a look at Adwords Scripts
Although these have been around for a year, there are still plenty of people that are not using them, particularly if you already use automated software, stick to the automation available in the system or just don’t understand programming.
If you are a fan of automated tasks, bulk operations and specific reporting, you should really have a look. We will be doing an walk through to help the non coders out there, but for now – read more here:
- Using Scripts to make automated changes - Google Help Files
- 3 Easy Adwords Scripts – from the ever Awesome PPC Hero
- Free Adwords Scripts – a site dedicated to Adwords Scripts – for FREE!
- Google Dev Blog
3. Check the Adwords Blog – Often
I have long since put Adwords notifications into a folder that I miss constantly, but I always make sure I go back and check to see what’s new, or anything I have not implemented. Sometimes there is not much but October and November has loads of useful things to read about and there are some helpful files and new things including:
- A Downloadable Guide to getting your Ads in shape - well it is nearly Christmas
- 5 Key Findings for Mobile Ads
- A New variation of the Search Network (with display select)
- Seller Rating / Review Ads have now been rolled out in the UK
- Google Shopping - A New variation of PLA adverts