Link Earning: Marketing Strategies for Earning Your Links #ionsearch
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes, 43 seconds
Nichola’s take on linkbuilding is why spend time and money on a strategy that may backfire when you can instead spend on resources and content that makes you special.
This can help you earn links that money can’t buy and come up with ideas for even the most boring sectors.
Nicola Stott – TheMedia Flow – Link Earning: Marketing Strategies for Earning Your Links and How to Survive the Grey Borderlands
Nichola starts by telling us that “Content needs a reason”
There are 3 stages:
What makes something of interest to a genuine write?
- What is newsworthy
- Ideation process – using business assets
- Operating frameworks
- TOS (Not just google TOS that needs to be considered)
Why do we need to have an earned link strategy?
iAcquire 2 months to get back in the index after being accused of buying links and Chrome even dropped themselves to position 73 when they were caught buying links from a load of bloggers and so far 700 thousand ‘notice of detection’ emails were sent.
Reasons for adoping an earned link strategy?
- Increases diversity – genuine assets get put in a lot of places
- Genyine audience – real links on good content sites people are going to clieck em
- Reinforces your customer brand story
Make things Endearing or emotive
Telling the companies story helps us understand and buy their product. Using the example of innocent where their entire marketing strategy has always been around how good they are at what they do – sustainable farming indian farmers – charity projects – bobble hats for drinks – constantly having things to talk about.
Compare to DFS? There is nothing to say about DFS – nothing warm fuzzy or enticing – having a sale is not newsworthy
- We are obsessed with things that are quantifiable – most expensive sandwich, smallest, largest, first, last etc – we want to measure anything
- The cult of celebrity – if you have a business or brand with ethical intrinsic alue – can be a perfec symbios
- Emotive is instantly shareable, instantly newsworthy – Read Jonah Berger – Contagious – screen analysed everything that has een shared and looked at what made those things go mental – including: Social currency, Triggers, Ease for emotion, Public. Practcal value, Stories
- Qualititative – face to face interviews
- Stakeholder groups
- Need senior level buy in
- Mechanisms – marketing 101
- Your USAO
- Customer experience
What if your product is boring and you make cement?
Finding a USP can be more difficult:
- Uncover storeis from consumer groups
- Google surveys – instead o fyou putting an ad out you put a survey out
- Example of survey method – accounts do accountancy want to find a story
- Survey business owners – scaremongering PR 75% of owners are not ready for C
- If you haven’t got on – invent one – example Kellogs came up with a policy idea – instead of saying our cornflakes are better – they said we only make our own then produced laser branded flakes
How can you create stories out of really boring things?
There is always an application – the way to do it is to find out what it means to the humans – eg – microchips – where do they sell them to medical equipment manufacturers – incubators = instant storytake the boring product and find out where it ends up – take it to the human conclusion
Interest to the local media needs to be genuine – you can just amake up some ethics it needs to be baked into the business
Data can make a really good story – just because we have a spreadsheet doesn’t mean we need to make a spreadsheet out of it – there still needs to be some decent content in there somewhere
How can we uncover a data story?
What is normal
What is abnormal
Create anomaly filters – ask about the stock he is shifting out – who is in touch with that data – define what normal looks like –
Amazon meta metric – sales per hour – salt sugar smoke went mental – find out the story out – looked at food progammes on what is going on – didn’t correlate that stood out so looked at sporging events what we discovered that is was hannukah using preserbatives is common practice in kosher food –
Don’t discount an infographic just because everyone else does – the part that makes it interesting
- CAP Codes – Paid marketing services – advertorial
- PRCE Code of Conduct
- Individual Media House – guardian what you can and ca’t give to a journalist
- Media Contact Databases – agil
Download the Slides on the MediaFlow Blog