Top 10 Tips for Email Marketing – #ProSEO Seminar 2010
Estimated reading time: 1 minute, 42 seconds
At Pro SEO, Tamara Gielen rattles through some top tips for how to take advantage of email marketing.
First up, some common SEO themes Tamara (as a non-SEO) noted from listening to the talks in yesterday’s seminar:
Social will kill SEO
SEO isn’t sexy
Quality content is key
Spam makes SEO look bad
Hiring good SEOs is hard
SEO isn’t rocket science
SEO is hard to explain to people
There are not enough women in our industry (here here!)
Hang on… replace the word SEO with email? Nothing changes, it suffers from exactly the same problems and complications.
On to Tamara’s Top Tips:
1. Email is the number one method for sharing content on the internet so make friends with your email marketing colleagues – they own the list!
2. Make capturing email addresses your top priority.
3. Identify social media users and influencers (tools like Flowtown can help you understand what they are doing with your emails and how they share your content, or Rapleaf as an email provider)
4. Target social media users with exclusive content and ask them to share it (if you don’t ask, you don’t get!)
5. Publish your newsletter on Twitter and Facebook
6. Provide a newsletter archive either on your website, or on a separate domain
7. Use email surveys and analytics to get a better understanding of your users
8. Email marketing will help you convert visitors through abandoned search and shopping cart targeted emails (don’t forget to get them to opt-in as early in the process as possible, identify people that have opted-in already then target)
9. Email will help you increase conversion! (Email subscribers have a higher lifetime value than non-subscribers, use it)
10. Upper management doesn’t care about how many links you generated – show them the money.
A whistle-stop tour in the world of email marketing, and a useful reminder not to forget its importance or usefulness.
Bonus tip: don’t listen to any general rules about when the best time is to send out an email. What is true one day could completely change the next – TEST!